The first mistake: trying to please everyone. We welcome back John Yates of Celladora Photography and we talk:
- Find satisfaction with your own work, and definitely be in touch with what your best clients like.
- Do you struggle with wanting/getting likes? Us too. You’re not alone with that. But start looking inwards for affirmation because finding it anywhere else is a losing battle.
- Spend time doing something you enjoy, and you’ll get hired for that! People love to see work you’ve ALREADY done BEFORE they hire you for themselves. Don’t ever share work that you don’t want to replicate:)
- The best way to fight against comparison is to go CREATE instead of sitting at home and looking at other people’s work.
- Put social media down. Do it. Do it now. (To help me, I asked my wife to change my password to facebook, and I had her log in for me when I wanted to go on. I still went on but since it wasn’t as accessible I went on WAY LESS.)
- When you create something for yourself, the WORST CASE SCENARIO is personal satisfaction.
- Best case scenario: others will see it and hire you. BAM.
- What would you create if you knew that no one else was going to see it? THIS IS HUGE. Because instead of thinking about what others will like, you have to look inward and really create the art for yourself.
- The struggle with comparison doesn’t happen near as much when you’re creating and living out of that creative spirit.
- Shut your phone off, and go take some pictures!