John shares an awesome/horrible story about a hater.
- Someone sent him multiple anonymous emails just tearing him apart, his website, his work, everything.
- Then he found out that this person sent similar emails to 5-6 other photographers. But the funny part is that John looks up to these other 5-6 photographers, so it was almost nice that he was included in the same list haha.
- You kind of have to feel bad for this person! They wasted their whole day hating on people instead of going out and making a productive day happen
- With any level of success comes with haters. Think Justin Bieber — so so loved by some people and so so hated by others.
- If your work is forgettable and lukewarm, you probably won’t have many haters because people won’t really notice you. But if you’re polarizing, you’ll be remembered, even if people don’t like it.
- You have to be okay with taking some criticism!
- Have a small circle of trust for people to give you feedback, and listen to THEM. Don’t listen to anonymous angry people that are probably discouraged artists themselves.
- Don’t be in the business of pleasing everyone.
- If you create something that people LOVE, that very same exact thing will probably also be hated by someone, somewhere, somehow.
- Even if you’re someone who LOVES everyone, there will still be someone who hates people who love everyone
- In the words of Tay Swift, HATERS GONNA HATE. So just SHAKE IT OFF