If you’re new to understanding/noticing light, definitely check this one out.
- What really matters is that your vision REALLY clues in on light
- If you already feel confident that these are obvious to you, this is NOT the podcast for you: ANGLE of light, COLOR of light, and SIZE of light
- SIZE: Look at the LINE between the shadow and light as it hits your subject. Is the shadow line from bright to dark, is THAT smooth or crisp
- We’re talking about the size of the light, so if it’s a BIGGER light source the shadow line will be smooth, and if it’s a SMALLER light source, the shadow line will be crisp.
- BUT! It’s not just actual measurable size. The sun is HUGE but it’s so far away so it only counts as a SMALL light source.
- Shadows are just absence of light, so the light is coming from the OTHER side because the light can’t get to that area.
- As you study this, try to pick images where there are really specific shadows, and that’ll give you an easier time to figure out and reverse engineer what the photographer did.
- Look in the eyes of the subject — sometimes the catch-light in their eyes will be the biggest giveaway as to where the light was and how big it was for that shot.
- COLOR: I’m not talking about the DJ lights at a club — it’s more subtle than that. Look for more orange lights or more blue lights. (link is to “flash gels” on Amazon — this is once you understand this concept, to change the color of your flash to MATCH the other light in the room!)
- Older lightbulbs are warmer/more orange.
- Fluorescent bulbs are usually colder/more blue.
- If you try to do a shoot with three different colors of light, you’re going to have a VERY hard time fixing that in your editing.
- IT’S OKAY if your shot is CONSISTENTLY orange. Because then you can pull the image more blue and it’ll look great. The problem is if you have ORANGE light AND BLUE light in your shot, then you can’t pull it to one side or another because you’ve got both tones, which spoils the shot.
- Want to have some VISUALS for the stuff I talked about in this podcast? Pick up my free flash secrets ebook right here.